Just a block away from where she died, Chantelle Giles was farewelled in Patea today.

At an outdoor service at the Taranaki town's cemetery, family and friends said goodbye to the 22-year-old who was killed a week ago when a milk tanker crashed into the car she was sitting in.

Siblings John, 64, and Cherry Bayne, 61, also died in the smash.

Flowers left out for milk tanker drivers in memory of driver
'Down-to-earth nice guy' - Tributes to truck driver in Patea crash


Tanker driver Michael Fairclough died on Monday and his death is being investigated by the coroner.

Mrs Giles' husband Raphael was only seconds away from also being in the car, but his decision to latch a gate saved his life.

Under hot sun and among graves that date to the 19th century, he told the 80 or so mourners about the special "one-in-a-million" woman he married in December 2014.

The pair are devout Christians and Mr Giles said his wife would be taken to heaven.

Mrs Giles' musical talent was on the minds of many mourners. She was talented on the violin and at the front of the service sat her piano, which was played by others in musical tribute.

Raphael Giles told the mourners about the special
Raphael Giles told the mourners about the special "one-in-a-million" woman he married. Photo / Rob Tucker

Mr Giles described Chantelle as sensitive, yet cheerful, and the type of person everybody warmed too.

"She loved animals and she loved people. She was very gentle and calm and never impatient with me," he said.

"I miss her terribly. I don't really want to face things without her.

"It all happened so fast that I don't think they would have known what had hit them. They've probably asked why they died."

For now, Mr Giles said his wife was resting until Jesus raised her from the ground to eternal life -- "a truly wonderful person".

Mr Giles' dad Owen recalled the pair staying at his Horowhenua house and his joy at hearing Mrs Giles play hymns on the piano.

He then recounted what happened in last week's crash before asking everyone at the service to slow down and take care on the roads.

"I don't want another one of these."

Mrs Giles'nana Noeline Nillson told the story of family bird Cheeko, who loved Mrs Giles.

He'd talk excitedly to her, even over the phone.

"Chantelle give us a kiss, please," he would say.

"I'm thankful for the many happy memories that we shared," Mrs Nillson said.

"We shared a lot together and we shared a lot of love together."

At the end of the service, Mrs Giles' coffin was carried to her final resting place at the far end of the cemetery, next to neighbouring farmland.