The identity of the 19-year-old man charged with murdering and sexually violating Cun Tian in her Te Atatu home will remain a secret until at least his next court appearance.

He has just appeared in the Waitakere District Court and was granted interim name suppression by Judge David Mather until his next appearance in the High Court at Auckland.

Wearing a blue police-issued boiler suit he acknowledged his mother who was in the public gallery. She was visibly upset and being comforted by another woman.

He then shouted "f*** them ay, f*** the murder charge."


He also gave the fingers from the dock and abused television media using expletives.

Judge Mather also suppressed the summary of facts filed by police in court.

The youth was remanded in custody until February 10 when he will appear in the High Court at Auckland.

At the end of the hearing a woman yelled at him "you low down piece of s***".

The Te Atatu youth was arrested last night and charged with murdering Mrs Tian, 69, on January 15. He also faces two charges of sexually violating the mother and grandmother.

Ms Tian was found dead in her Glenvil Lane home on Friday by her daughter and son-in-law when they arrived back from work shortly after 5pm.

Police said the attack - which was not heard by any neighbours - was violent and prolonged, and Ms Tian was struck multiple times around her head and face.

The investigation team brought in criminal profilers as they tried to find who was responsible for Mrs Tian's death and said yesterday they were seeking sightings of a man in a white and green tracksuit.

The investigation, dubbed Operation Nepal, was manned by 25 investigators and additional staff.

Te Atatu residents commended police for the quick arrest.

Many took to social media to react to news of the arrest.

"As a resident of Te Atatu this is a great relief to my family, however I'm horrified by the truth of the crime," said Leeanne Boyle.

"Two families destroyed and our little community deeply shocked."

Jody Chambers wrote: "Fantastic quick result, relieved for victim's family".