The family of a 17-year-old St Peter's College student who died in a car crash in central Auckland is preparing to say goodbye to a "darling boy" who was "taken too soon".

Robbie Taylor, who was due to enter his final year at college, died when the car he was travelling in lost control and crashed into a tree on Ian McKinnon Drive, Eden Terrace on Sunday afternoon.

Two others, the driver and another passenger, were injured in the smash.

A funeral notice in today's New Zealand Herald said the young man would be farewelled at a service on Saturday at St Benedict's Catholic Church, just up the road from where the crash happened.


In the notice his family wrote of their grief.

"Tragically on the 17th of January 2016, our darling boy was taken too soon. Adored beautiful son of Fran and Rob and their partners. Most treasured brother and best mate of Georgia-Rose.

"You will be dearly missed Robbie, we will forever hold you close in our hearts. Love you."

Yesterday, St Peter's College headmaster James Bentley said a large number of pupils and staff had gathered to share in a memorial liturgy for the popular student.

On its Facebook page the college's first XV paid tribute and offered condolences to Robbie's family.

"Rest in peace Robbie Taylor. The news of the passing of such a young man in the St Peter's community is very tragic. Rest in Love Robbie and St Peter will no doubt open the gate to heaven for one of its own angels."

On Monday friends also paid their tribute to the 17-year-old, describing him as a keen comedian who was fun to be around.

Close friend James Cameron had known Mr Taylor since Year Nine and had been looking forward to seeing out their final year together.

"He was pretty bright, even in class he was the type you'd want to sit next to."

Mr Cameron also reflected on what he saw as the injustice around his friend's death.

"He was just in the car with them. He didn't deserve it. They were boy-racing, but it was just unfortunate that he was involved in this."

A police spokeswoman said the investigation into the crash was ongoing and was expected to take several weeks to complete.

She said so far no one had been arrested and no charges had been laid.