The motorcyclist who died after hitting a fence yesterday afternoon was riding with a group that included his family and friends.

Police said Omanawa man Raymond Morreel, 65, left the road and crashed through a fence near Te Poi in the Waikato.

"Attempts to revive Mr Morreel by people at the scene were unsuccessful," Senior Sergeant Steve Ambler said today.

"I would like to extend our sympathies to Mr Morreel's friend and family, some of whom were at the scene of yesterday's crash," he added.


Mr Ambler said it was too soon to say what caused yesterday afternoon's crash and the Waikato Serious Crash Unit was investigating.

Mr Morreel's son Brent said the family were too upset to talk but a funeral would be held for his father at Pyes Pa crematorium at 10am on Saturday.

Omanawa Rd residents Robyn and Robert Broxholme say they'd known Mr Morreel and his wife for at least 21 years.

"Ray was a really good neighbour and a great's really, really sad," Mrs Broxholme said.

Mr Morreel, a calf rearer, told The Farming Show he was rearing 600-800 calves annually.
He said he'd been rearing calves in the area for 18 years.

Mr Morreel bought a lifestyle block with his wife Ann about 21 years ago.

"I'm up at 4.30am seven days a week. I feed the calves and am on the road by 7.30am to pick up calves," Mr Morreel told Dairy Exporter in an interview last year.

A post-mortem examination will be done today.


"This was the 14th motorcycle fatality and the 42nd road fatality in the Waikato this year," Mr Ambler said.

"Yesterday's crash was also the 26th out of 39 fatal crashes where failing to keep in your lane or on the road was a contributing factor."

He said local holiday spots were especially busy, so drivers should be extra vigilant and expect delays.

"Yesterday's crash happened in ideal driving and riding conditions," he said.

Three St John ambulances attended the 1.35pm crash.

Fire Service spokesman Jaron Phillips said four fire engines were sent from nearby Tirau and Matamata.

"When we arrived there were members of the public directing traffic. CPR was being carried out."

Mr Phillips said the helicopter arrived about 2.10pm, but Mr Morreel died at the scene.