An Auckland man accused of forcing a woman into sex by threatening to publicise a homemade sex tape will stand trial again after a jury could not agree on verdicts.

Shaoke 'Andy' Qi, 31, stood trial at Auckland District Court last week on two counts of inducing sexual connection by making threats.

But there was a hung jury on both verdicts and the case will remain before the court while another trial date is organised.

The defendant, who is listed as a masseur in court documents, met the complainant in 2011 while she was married to another man who lived overseas.


The pair began a relationship characterised by secret sexual liaisons, Crown prosecutor Sam McMullan told the jury.

But things changed in January 2012 when Qi started a new relationship and the complainant's husband came to New Zealand to visit.

However, the pair rekindled their romance, exchanging many messages through a smart-phone application.

They would allegedly meet for sex either at the complainant's home or at an Epsom motel and during one of those rendezvous the complainant had suspicions Qi had filmed the romp.

Mr McMullan said she never consented to that and things came to a head in September, 2012, when the woman confronted the defendant and told him she wanted to end the relationship.

He allegedly threatened to post a sex tape online.

The complainant's daughter gave evidence about noticing Qi change the profile picture on the smart-phone app to a half-naked photo of her mum that looked as though it was a still from a video.

The woman, who has statutory name suppression, hastily arranged a meeting at the motel.


"There they had sex again but on that occasion, she'll tell you she didn't want it to happen. She was concerned if she didn't, Mr Qi would publish the actual video," Mr McMullan said.

By mid-2013 the pair allegedly had sex several more times before the complainant approached police.

Qi told police he had never made an "intimate visual recording" and no evidence of such footage was found when the phone was analysed.

The trial, before Judge John Bergseng and a jury of eight men and five women, is expected to last a week.