NZ cases among more than 10 new sex abuse claims against disgraced entertainer.

Police will not say how many Kiwi victims of sex offending entertainer Rolf Harris have come forward, but are encouraging any others to contact them.

Ten new alleged victims have been identified since Harris' trial in London earlier this year. Some of the new claims related to alleged abuse in New Zealand and Australia.

Police here have this morning refused to say how many complaints have been made to date.

"We continue to encourage anyone with information about potential offending by Rolf Harris in New Zealand to contact police," a spokesman said.

Advertisement

"We will not however give any details about information received as we don't want to discourage anyone from coming forward."

He said all information received would be assessed to determine what further steps may be required.

"This may include offering appropriate support to victims and sharing relevant information with the Metropolitan Police."

Britain's Sunday Times has reported that a source close to the police investigation into the Australian entertainer's sex offending said 10 new victims have been identified and their claims relate to abuse in New Zealand, Australia and Britain.

It is understood many of the victims were under age, meaning Harris could face fresh charges.

The investigation, dubbed Operation Yewtree, is based in London and is looking at the British cases, but any incidents that took place abroad would be handled by the local police. New Zealand police could not be contacted about the matter last night.

In July National MP and former broadcaster Maggie Barry revealed that Harris had groped her in a recording studio in Palmerston North in the 1980s.

"He came in to the studio and we sat down and he started to do the old wandering hands thing and I stood up and said 'well you can stop that right now'," she said.

Advertisement

Ms Barry said she called Harris a "sleazy creep" and he turned "nasty" on her before switching his charm back on for the interview.

Yesterday Ms Barry said she would not comment while the case was before the courts.

Meanwhile, former TVNZ makeup artist Lee Howden told RadioLive she was also sexually assaulted as she did the entertainer's make-up for an on-air interview.

She said she fled the room after he put his hand into her underwear. She never reported the incident but was inspired to come forward after hearing Ms Barry's account and was prepared to make an official police complaint.

Harris, 84, was jailed in June for five years and nine months for 12 indecent assaults on four girls between 1969 and 1986. The youngest girl was only 7 years old at the time of the assault.

Detective Chief Inspector Michael Orchard of the London Metropolitan police said some new claims of assault had been made during the course of the trial.

Advertisement

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said he was not prepared to discuss further allegations, referring questions to New Zealand authorities.

Meanwhile, Harris has reportedly been moved to another British prison for his own safety after being bullied by other inmates. He had been housed at HMP Bullingdon in Oxfordshire.

But British newspaper the Sun reports Harris has now been moved to Stafford jail, considered to be a "soft" prison, after being taunted by fellow inmates. "They were keen to take him down a peg or two," a source told the newspaper.

"He was moved to another prison for his own safety about two weeks ago."

The tabloid reported earlier this year that Harris was given a job tending to the prison garden, infuriating other inmates who felt he was receiving preferential treatment. He was apparently spat at in one incident.

Rolf Harris

• 84-year-old Australian entertainer who has lived in Britain for the past six decades.

Advertisement

• Worked as a musician, singer-songwriter, composer, comedian, actor, painter and television personality.

• Home searched by British police in November 2012 on suspicion of historic child sex offences.

• Jailed in June for five years and nine months for 12 indecent assaults on four girls between 1969 and 1986.

• British police say more than 10 new victims have now come forward, including New Zealanders.

- staff reporters