Loan store workers stabbed with sharp object, say police

A man accused of murdering two pawn shop workers in south Auckland over the weekend has had his name suppression extended.

The 25-year-old appeared in Papakura District Court this morning charged with the murder of owner Paul Fanning, 69, and his employee Paul Matthews, 47.

They were killed at the Ezy Cash loan store on Great South Rd, Takanini, on Saturday afternoon.

Their alleged killer was arrested in Huntly late that night. A woman who was seen leaving the premises with him was being treated as a witness, police said at the weekend.


The accused stood in the dock with his eyes to the ground. He was dressed in a dark T-shirt with a white logo and dark trousers, with numerous tattoos showing, and was supported in court by his partner, parents and extended family members.

Duty lawyer Kersie Khambatta argued that he should be granted name suppression to protect his young family. He has two young children -- a 5-year-old son and a 3-year-old daughter -- with his partner, who Mr Khambatta also revealed worked at the shop where the two men were killed.

Mr Khambatta said the children, and the accused's younger sister who was still at school, would be subject to "jeers" and harassment from their classmates if his name was published.

There was also a fear that other family members would be identified by association and would be put "at risk".

"They say that people out there are very angry and non suppression of details mean that they would be in danger," Mr Khambatta said.

The accused was granted interim name suppression by Justice of the Peace Tony Charman until 4pm today in order for members of the man's extended family to be informed.

However, the accused appealed the interim decision this afternoon, and took it to the High Court.

Judge Justice John Faire extended name suppression until the man's next court appearance in August.

The public gallery at Papakura District Court was packed to capacity with family members of both the accused and the victims.

Many were visibly upset, and wiped tears from their eyes. Others stood hugging each other in support, some could be heard crying throughout.

During the sitting one woman shouted at the double-murder accused, calling him "scum".

The man was remanded in custody until August.