The mother of tortured Rotorua three-year-old Nia Glassie has had her parole revoked by the Parole Board.

Lisa Michelle Kuka was granted parole last month because the board said she no longer posed an undue risk to the community.

She was due to be released on April 7.

But today it released a decision revoking that ruling, based on information it had received from the Corrections Department on February 28.


Details of that information were not known.

"We direct that Ms Kuka be scheduled to see the Parole Board again as soon as practicable," the board said.

Justice Potter sums up case against the accused (edited) in the Nia Glassie murder trial before sending the jury out to decide.

Kuka started her nine-year sentence for the manslaughter of her daughter on February 4, 2009.

Her then partner, Wiremu Curtis, and his brother Michael were sentenced to life imprisonment for the little girl's murder.

Nia Glassie died on August 3, 2007, from head injuries after being repeatedly kicked.

She had been subjected to ongoing abuse, usually when her mother was out at work, including being put in a clothes dryer, hung on a clothesline and spun around, used in wrestling moves, having objects thrown at her and being subjected to cold baths.

Kuka did not take Nia to hospital, and was found guilty of manslaughter on the basis she failed in her duties as a parent protect her and provide care.

When the board granted Kuka parole, it said she had completed several programmes while in prison and had worked on the external grounds crew and was regarded as an exemplary worker.

Murder convictions handed down following a month-long trial over the violent death of Rotorua toddler Nia Glassie, the guilty verdicts were handed down to brothers Wiremu Curtis, 19, and Michael Curtis, 22, as well as the guilty verdict for the charge of manslaughter against Nia's mother, Lisa Kuka, 35.

More recently she had been engaged with the "release to work" programme for several months.

"Her behaviour is described in exemplary terms," the earlier decision said.

A psychological report assessed her as being at a low risk of reoffending and the board said she had made "significant progress" over the latter half of her sentence.

Nia was the youngest of Kuka's six children. Her death appalled the nation and prompted calls for more to be done to combat child abuse.