A woman was taken to hospital after tripping over a wasp nest, fracturing her ankle and going into anaphylactic shock due to the stings.
The woman, aged in her 20s, was walking on a track at Bethells Beach near Auckland when she stumbled on the nest yesterday about 1pm, the Westpac Rescue Helicopter crew said.
A spokesman said the medical report wasn't clear whether the stings were from bees or wasps, but wasps seemed more likely.
The woman was walking with others who raised the alarm.
She was winched out of the location and taken by helicopter to North Shore Hospital.