The Tauranga motorcyclist who died in a crash while travelling home from a day's ride has been named.

John Dawson, 62, died on State Highway 2 after his motorcycle and a contractor's ute collided about 4pm on Friday.

Mr Dawson was riding towards Tauranga with a friend and former police officer, who was on a separate bike, when the collision occurred just south of Katikati.

Despite attempts by passers-by to resuscitate Mr Dawson, he died on the roadside. The ute driver and second motorcyclist were both unhurt.


Mr Dawson's family was gathered at his Matua home yesterday. They declined to speak to media.

Managing director of Tauranga's Bayride Motorcycles, Lindsay Beck, said the crash was "just tragic" and the motorcycling community's thoughts were with Mr Dawson's family.

"I knew of him. I know they wouldn't have been doing nothing silly.

"I guess there always is concern as a motorcyclist riding, the car drivers just do not see you, no matter how bright your clothing might be or if your headlights are on," Mr Beck said.

"There needs to be more public education to be aware there are motorcyclists on the road and the call again goes out to motorcyclists to make themselves visible."

Tauranga police acting Senior Sergeant Wayne Hunter, heading Western Bay of Plenty's road policing unit, said he expected to interview the driver of the ute today.

Police held skid tests and made preliminary enquiries into the crash over the weekend.

Mr Hunter said contractors had been working on the side of the road on Friday afternoon and police would be investigating the nature of their traffic management plan.

On Saturday, the Bay of Plenty Times Weekend reported concerns raised by local emergency services about a lack of speed restrictions in place on the highway while work was being carried out to lay telecommunications cables.

"That is one thing we'll be looking at, to see if their traffic management plan was appropriate. But that does not appear to be a contributing factor," Mr Hunter said.