A market analyst has been convicted for his part in a road rage incident that ended with a man having both legs broken.

Guy Hallwright, who works for investment banking company Forsyth Barr, was today found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with reckless disregard after a five day trial at the Auckland District Court.

The offence carries a maximum penalty of seven years in prison.

Outside court, Hallwright told APNZ that he didn't know where the verdict left him, and the trial had been a strain on the family.


"I think we're all bearing up. It has been hard and very disappointing.''

Hallwright's family and supporters had been in the public gallery for much of the trial and were in court today for the verdict.

His teenage daughter had been in the family's black Saab convertible with him when the incident happened in September, 2010 and she gave evidence in court.

Hallwright had been dropping her off at a recording studio and was waiting at the traffic lights on Auckland's busy Symonds St.

He told the court earlier this week that Mr Kim was in his black Mercedes Benz behind him, had misunderstood the bus traffic light and was tooting his horn.

Hallwright turned down Mt Eden Rd looking for a park. He pulled into the carpark next to Galbraith's Alehouse but Mr Kim followed.

Hallwright said he gave Mr Kim the finger and told him to f*** off as the Black Merc came alongside.

Mr Kim's car screeched to a halt. In Hallwright's words, he felt he needed to take the initiative. "If something was going to happen, I wanted it to be over there''.

Hallwright got out of his car and walked over to Kim's car. He opened the door and asked loudly "What is your problem?''.

"There was a look on his face that made me extremely alarmed.''

Mr Kim, who also gave evidence, told the court that he approached Hallwright's car. He said he was hit with the "first attack'' and he was pushed forward with his hands landing on the bonnet of Hallwright's car.

"It was like a rugby player being tackled and I was falling forward.''

Mr Kim said Hallwright then drove off and he was left with two broken legs.

His shattered left ankle required reconstructive surgery.

Mr Kim still has pins in his legs and has difficulty walking.

He has had eight operations on his legs and is due back in hospital for more next week.

Judge Raoul Neave told the jurors that they had to ask themselves: "What was the nature of the risk?''

He said they would need to put themselves in the shoes of Hallwright as he drove off.

The jurors took just over four hours to decide.

Judge Neave said he was prepared to sentence Hallwright immediately but set a date in August, after Crown prosecutor Ross Burns asked for an opportunity to file full submissions with the court.

Judge Neave also called for a report on the possibility of Hallwright serving home detention.

Outside court Hallwright's lawyer Paul Davison QC said he and his client were disappointed with the verdict.

"We make decisions in an instant sometimes when we drive motorcars. Sometimes they are the right decisions and sometimes they're not the right decisions, and to have them examined in this way - and perhaps have the opportunity to have them rationally analysed - is artificial.''

Forsyth Barr managing director Neil Paviour-Smith said he had only just heard the verdict. "Obviously we need to consider that carefully and we're not making any comment.''