A high-flying financial analyst used his one and-a-half tonne car as a weapon when he broke a man's legs, a court has heard.

Guy Hallwright, a senior analyst with the investment banking company Forsyth Barr, pleaded not guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent to injure and causing grievous bodily harm with reckless disregard at the Auckland District Court today.

Crown prosecutor Ross Burns said the incident began at the busy Auckland intersection of Mt Eden Rd and Symonds St in September, 2010.

He said fists and finger gestures were exchanged between Hallwright and another motorist, Sung Jin Kim, after a traffic light change.


Through a Korean translator, Mr Kim said he and Hallwright turned into Mt Eden Rd before both cars stopped.

He said Hallwright walked up to his car, opened Mr Kim's driver's side door and slammed it.

Mr Kim said he got out of his car and walked towards Hallwright's car which was parked in the entrance to Galbraith's carpark.

He said Hallwright's car hit him with the "first attack'' and he was pushed forward with his hands on the bonnet of Hallwright's car.

"It was like a rugby player being tackled and I was falling forward.''

Mr Kim said Hallwright then drove off.

He was left with two broken legs and a shattered left ankle that required reconstructive surgery. Mr Kim still has pins in his legs and has difficulty walking.

Under cross-examination, Mr Kim was asked by Hallwright's lawyer - Paul Davison QC - why there were "significant variances'' between what Mr Kim had told the court today and earlier statements he had made to police.


Mr Kim said the differences were due to problems with the translation from Korean into English.

He was also asked if he had been angry before being run over.

"Yes because he opened my car door - not his car door - and slammed the door. It was my car,'' Mr Kim said.

He denied Mr Davison's suggestion that he had banged on the bonnet of Hallwright's car.

Mr Davison continued: "You first of all banged on the bonnet and then moved to the side of the car.''

Mr Kim denied that had happened.

Mr Davison also asked what Mr Kim was doing when he approached Hallwright's car.

"I suggest you had lost your temper on that day and your intent was to approach the car - whether to argue with him or worse, fight with him.''

Mr Kim said he wanted to ask Hallwright why he had slammed his car door.

Earlier, Mr Burns told the court that Hallwright left the scene after the incident before calling 111 and talking to police.

He said Hallwright told police that he needed to drop his daughter off at a music studio. "If we can deal with this later, it would be good''.

Mr Burns told the jurors that they might find that "an insensitive thing to do''.

"He was angry, He used a car, 1.5 tonnes of metal, as a weapon.''

The trial is set down for five days and will hear from at least 20 witnesses. A jury of five men and seven women have been selected to hear the case before Judge Raoul Neave.