It seems Wellington Sevens fans were too caught up in the action to cause trouble during game time, but their antics on the streets were far more problematic for police.

While arrests at Westpac Stadium during the event were well down on past years, arrests on Wellington's streets shot up.

Nearly 100 people were arrested over the weekend, but only 14 of these arrests took place at the Westpac Stadium.

Last year, 44 of the 105 arrests were at the stadium. In 2010, police arrested 113 people, 42 of which were at the games.


Police could not comment on why the stadium arrests were so low.

"It must just be because we're such nice people, we didn't want to arrest people at such a great event," joked one officer.

"But in all seriousness, I have no idea."

Last night was the busiest of the weekend for police, as fans spilled onto the streets to celebrate New Zealand's 24-7 win over Fiji.

Police made 52 arrests for breaches of the liquor ban, disorderly behaviour and minor assault.

Just six people were arrested at the stadium, four for disorder, and two for attempting to run onto the field.

Yesterday police arrested 37 people for minor offences, including eight arrests at the stadium, bringing the total number of arrests to 95 over the two-day period.

One man who invaded the pitch during the final game of day one has been charged with assault.

The man, wearing only underwear, forced his was past security and tackled Samoan player Alatasi Tupou to the ground.

He has been banned from the stadium for two years and will appear in court on February 28.

A total of 68 people were evicted from the stadium without arrest over the weekend, mostly for intoxication or trying to smuggle alcohol into the venue.

Senior Sergeant Aiden Ellimes said the number of offences was unfortunate.

"It is disappointing that people have consumed so much alcohol that they have committed offences. But with such a huge influx of people, this kind of thing is expected."

Police said fans were generally well-behaved, however, despite the poor weather and large number of people in the city.

A Wellington Ambulance spokesperson said staff were kept busy with minor injuries all night.

A triage centre was in place on Tory Street, relieving pressure on the hospital's emergency department.

The triage centre treated 27 people for minor injuries, and five were sent to hospital for further treatment.