An Auckland man charged with injuring two small girls in a car crash this week will remain in police custody.

Fereti Aiono, 27, appeared in Manukau District Court this morning following a car crash just before 8pm on Thursday.

He faces one charge of causing bodily harm to two girls, aged 8 and 11, and of driving a motor vehicle while disqualified.

Police allege Aiono was driving while intoxicated.


The bodily harm charge includes driving with a breath alcohol level of 503mg, over the legal 400mg limit.

Court documents list the man as originally being from Western Samoa, and as being unemployed.

Aiono appeared before the court today dressed in trackpants and an army camouflage detailed hooded sweatshirt.

He kept his head down and his hands clasped behind his back while the court discussed a media application to film his appearance, which was denied.

Duty Lawyer Catherine Maxwell asked for her client to be bailed, but was denied.

Justice of the Peace Matthew Sinclair said "I'm not too happy about it at all.

"How do you know he will turn up on Wednesday? There's plenty of notes on him in the paper of him trying to avoid arrest if it hadn't been for the public."

Police prosecutor Lucia Oldenhof opposed bail and said the case was of "concern" to the police.


"A tragic event has occurred and as a result two young girls are in hospital."

Aiono has been remanded in custody until next Wednesday 28 December, when Mr Sinclair said he could make a bail application.

Aiono was arrested after a car ploughed into two girls while walking along South Auckland's Wordworth Rd in Manurewa.

Eyewitnesses said the Ford Fairmont hit the kerb before swerving across the street and into a fence.

One of the girls was described as bleeding and with a tyre mark across her back after being pinned under the car's wheels.

Last night, the 8-year-old was in a serious but stable condition with "major" injuries in the Starship hospital. The 11-year-old was in Middlemore in a stable condition.

Counties Manukau road policing manager Inspector Heather Wells said the families of the girls, who were friends and lived near the crash site, were "very distraught".

"It's something that nobody wants to have happen, and especially not at Christmas. The children were walking along probably excited about Christmas, talking about their holidays. And then, a car has unexpectedly crashed into them."