A 15-year-old boy accused of stabbing a man in a Paeroa park last week has been freed on bail.

The 25-year-old victim was stabbed three times while walking through the park with his 20-year-old sister in the early hours on Friday morning.

He was flown to Auckland Hospital in a critical condition, but had since stabilised.

Police said that the pair had fought with a group of young men.

The boy was arrested later the same day and appeared in Hamilton District Court on Saturday accused of wounding the man with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and assault.

The weapon was recovered from the boy, police said.

The boy returned to court today and was granted bail.

- NZPA