The two teens accused of a brutal machete attack on a police officer are to be charged with attempted murder when they appear in court on Wednesday.
Waiouru Senior Constable Bruce Mellor was attacked with a machete and left for dead after he pulled over a car near Taihape on December 11.
A passing motorist found him lying in a pool of blood.
He was rushed to Palmerston North Hospital with multiple skull fractures, broken teeth, a broken eye socket, broken jaw, cuts to his arms and a badly damaged finger.
An 18-year-old and a 14-year-old appeared in the Whanganui District Court last week charged with assault. Those charges will be withdrawn and replaced by attempted murder when they appear on Wednesday.
Both are also charged with the unlawful taking of a motor vehicle and the attempted arson of a vehicle.
Officer needs more treatment
Mr Mellor was released from hospital over the weekend but must return soon for more treatment, police say.
Central Police District commander Russell Gibson says Mr Mellor will need long term treatment for his injuries.
"Bruce has spent the weekend convalescing with family and friends but he needs further hospital treatment for his facial and head injuries as part of his longer term rehabilitation."
A statement from Mr Mellor says he is making good progress.
He is thankful for the support he has received from around New Zealand.
"I hope at some point I will be able to thank you personally or through other communications channels."
Mr Gibson says those messages of support have been a boost to Mr Mellor, his family and police.
"Bruce is by nature a humble and private man. He's overwhelmed by the hundreds of cards and messages of support he's received."