Two toddlers who were in the Porirua house when their mother and a teenage woman were murdered yesterday are being cared for by family.

Distraught family members sat quietly in the public gallery of Porirua District Court this morning, for the brief appearance of a 28-year-old man accused of murdering Joeline Rangimaria Edmonds, 21, and Jashana Maree Robinson, 16, and breaching a protection order by physically abusing Ms Edmonds.

The unemployed Porirua man, who had his head bowed as he stood in the dock, was given interim name suppression.

But Detective Inspector Shane Cotter confirmed to media outside court that the accused was known to the victims, who lived at the Morere Street home in Titahi Bay where both were found dead at about 10am yesterday.

He also said the one and two year-old children of Ms Edmonds were in the house when the attack occurred.

"When the bodies were discovered those two young children were still at the address wandering around within the house," Mr Cotter said.

"They are being looked after by family members."

He said the family were feeling a lot of "anger and hurt".

"Some of them were in court today and were very respectful and dignified in their behaviour but they are devastated."

Jashana Robinson had lived at the house for less than a week.

Police discovered the women's bodies after a man with his hands covered in blood was seen running in circles outside the property.

Police were continuing their scene examination today but hoped to remove the two bodies and have post mortem examinations done this afternoon.

Although Mr Cotter would not comment on details of the attack, he said police had recovered a baseball bat and were seeking sightings of a man walking between Tawa and Titahi Bay carrying the bat between 6am and 10am yesterday.

Police were also seeking more information from people who knew the accused and victims so they could have a clearer picture of what happened.

Defence lawyer Catherine Milnes, acting on instructions from Greg King, did not seek bail but sought interim name suppression for the accused in court today.

Justice of the Peace Hewitt Humphrey remanded him in custody to reappear in Porirua District Court on July 7.