Saturday, 20 April 2024
KaitaiaWhangareiDargavilleAucklandThamesTaurangaHamiltonWhakataneRotoruaTokoroaTe KuitiTaumarunuiTaupoGisborneNew PlymouthNapierHastingsDannevirkeWhanganuiPalmerston NorthLevinParaparaumuMastertonWellingtonMotuekaNelsonBlenheimWestportReeftonKaikouraGreymouthHokitikaChristchurchAshburtonTimaruWanakaOamaruQueenstownDunedinGoreInvercargill
NZ HeraldThe Northern AdvocateThe Northland AgeThe AucklanderWaikato HeraldBay Of Plenty TimesRotorua Daily PostHawke's Bay TodayWhanganui ChronicleThe Stratford PressManawatu GuardianKapiti NewsHorowhenua ChronicleTe Awamutu CourierVivaEat WellOneRoofDRIVEN Car GuideThe CountryPhoto SalesiHeart RadioRestaurant Hub
Voyager 2023 media awards
Subscribe
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / New Zealand

Man sentenced for tagging Aussie jet

APNZ
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Charles Wilson Bullen. Photo / Facebook

Charles Wilson Bullen. Photo / Facebook

The man who tagged a swastika and lewd pictures of body parts on a visiting Australian Air Force plane before spitting on it has brought "considerable shame" on the defence force and the wider community, a court has been told.

Charles Wilson Bullen was sentenced to community work and supervision when he appeared at the Waitakere District Court today (Thur) after pleading guilty to two charges of intentional damage.

Judge Claire Ryan also ordered him to pay $4000 in reparation and said the offending has caused "considerable shame" to the Air Force and the community.

Bullen was also sentenced for breaking potplants and destroying an outdoor area at an Indian Restaurant in Hobsonville.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

He was caught after a droplet of his spit, found by police at the Whenuapai Airbase in west Auckland, matched a DNA sample from the 35-year-old professional painter, linking him to the scene.

The court heard how the Royal Australian Air Force C17 Globemaster was tagged in September 2008.

Photos of the graffiti which were placed before the court showed swastikas and a crude drawing of a penis. There was also the message "Go Kiwi" and "Aussie Bitches".

The multi-million dollar aircraft had to be removed from service while $1800 of repairs were carried out.

Crown prosecutor Evan McCaughan said as well as the cost of the clean-up, the New Zealand Air Force spent approximately $60,000 on employing additional security and identifying how Bullen broke in.

Judge Ryan said Bullen also damaged potplants and other items in an outdoor seating area at a Hobsonville Indian restaurant. He had cut himself on some plastic sheeting, which also identified him as a suspect to police.

Related articles

New Zealand|Crime

Man accused of tagging Aussie jet named

26 Apr 02:33 AM
New Zealand|Politics

'Aussie' Kiwis may get welfare rights

13 Dec 04:30 PM

Bullen's lawyer John Munro said his client had changed since 2008, when he was spending time with a cousin and drinking heavily five nights a week.

But Judge Ryan said there had been offending in the last four years, including an assault on Christmas Day last year, and it was likely that was also "fuelled by alcohol". Bullen was also facing two drink driving charges and a charge of driving while suspended.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Mr Munro agreed, and said Bullen had enrolled himself in an alcohol programme.

"The nature of the offending, in my respectful submission, was drunken loutish behaviour that has gotten out of hand."

He said Bullen had also voluntarily approached the local council and spent 135 hours painting over graffiti.

Mr Munro said that had not been easy for Bullen, who also had his painting business and an 18-month-old child to look after.

He said Bullen's offending did not target "a group of people".

But Judge Ryan said Bullen had deliberately targeted an Australian plane and attacked an Indian restaurant.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

She told Bullen that he had problems with alcohol, and said his enrolment in the alcohol programme was "last minute".

The judge said as well as the financial cost, there had been a cost to "New Zealand pride".

She ordered Bullen to undergo alcohol counselling, complete 87 hours of community work, and pay the airforce and the Indian restaurant $2000 each in reparations.

Outside court, Bullen declined to comment. A spokeswoman for the Defence Force said the Air Force did not want to talk about the case.

Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

New Zealand

Shane Jones joins ‘shrill’ climate change voices - only for ‘practical things'

20 Apr 04:13 AM
New Zealand

Watch: 'We could die'- Diabetic girls plead with Pharmac

20 Apr 04:09 AM
New Zealand

‘We could die without this’ 11-year-old girls plead with Pharmac

New Zealand

Ram injuries like 'being hit by a car', says expert

20 Apr 03:48 AM

Kids missing school to feed families

sponsored
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

Shane Jones joins ‘shrill’ climate change voices - only for ‘practical things'

Shane Jones joins ‘shrill’ climate change voices - only for ‘practical things'

20 Apr 04:13 AM

'Please have confidence we're going to continue in this direction.'

Watch: 'We could die'- Diabetic girls plead with Pharmac

Watch: 'We could die'- Diabetic girls plead with Pharmac

20 Apr 04:09 AM
‘We could die without this’ 11-year-old girls plead with Pharmac

‘We could die without this’ 11-year-old girls plead with Pharmac

Ram injuries like 'being hit by a car', says expert

Ram injuries like 'being hit by a car', says expert

20 Apr 03:48 AM
Real NZ Mountains: The new ski season beckons
sponsored

Real NZ Mountains: The new ski season beckons

NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
  • Bundle subscriptions
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • What the Actual
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven CarGuide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2024 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP