A 33-year-old man has reappeared in the Palmerston North District Court this morning on charges after two home-invasion sexual attacks.
Francis Kane Keefe made no plea and was remanded in custody until March. He is charged with two counts of sexual violation relating to incidents in Palmerston North on January 8 and 15. It is alleged he entered the bedrooms of two women and sexually violated them.
Keefe was located and arrested during a routine traffic stop on January 19. He made his first appearance in court last week on four counts of sexual violation but two of these were withdrawn today.
Judge Stephanie Edwards denied media applications to film and photograph Keefe due the potential of further charges. She said publication of images could prejudice the Edwards' right to a fair trial.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Acting Detective Inspector Neil Forlong said the arrest was the result of police work as well as support from the community and local media.
He said police were also appealing to the public for any sightings of a green 1992 Mitsubishi Lancer which is believed to have a personalised number plate.
"If you have seen this vehicle in the Linton Street and West End areas in the past weeks please contact police."
Other alleged sexual assaults in this area were also being investigated.