A lawyer has been struck off the roll of barristers and solicitors, in part because of unfounded allegations he made against a High Court judge.
The New Zealand Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal struck off Evgeny Orlov after he was found guilty of misconduct.
The misconduct justified a finding he was not a fit and proper person to practise, the tribunal found.
The charges were brought by the New Zealand Law Society's National Standards Committee.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
They included charges that Mr Orlov had made allegations about a High Court Judge on a number of occasions which were either false or were made without sufficient foundation.
In its decision, the tribunal said that in making the allegations, Mr Orlov had expressed himself in an unrestrained, unprofessional and at times outrageous manner.
In doing so he had "utterly failed in his duty to the legal profession, to the court, and to the public in terms of their reasonable expectations of his behaviour".
Law Society president Chris Moore said as officers of the court, lawyers were expected to treat others involved in the court processes with respect.
"The allegations made by Mr Orlov undermined processes of the court and the dignity of the judiciary and breached his over-riding duty as an officer of the court."
The tribunal found the charges proven on October 18 following a five-day hearing. It has now ordered that Mr Orlov be struck off but has reserved its reasons.
Mr Orlov previously represented former Zion Wildlife Garden operator Patricia Busch during a long-running feud between her and her son, 'Lion Man' Craig Busch.