Saturday, 13 April 2024
KaitaiaWhangareiDargavilleAucklandThamesTaurangaHamiltonWhakataneRotoruaTokoroaTe KuitiTaumarunuiTaupoGisborneNew PlymouthNapierHastingsDannevirkeWhanganuiPalmerston NorthLevinParaparaumuMastertonWellingtonMotuekaNelsonBlenheimWestportReeftonKaikouraGreymouthHokitikaChristchurchAshburtonTimaruWanakaOamaruQueenstownDunedinGoreInvercargill
NZ HeraldThe Northern AdvocateThe Northland AgeThe AucklanderWaikato HeraldBay Of Plenty TimesRotorua Daily PostHawke's Bay TodayWhanganui ChronicleThe Stratford PressManawatu GuardianKapiti NewsHorowhenua ChronicleTe Awamutu CourierVivaEat WellOneRoofDRIVEN Car GuideThe CountryPhoto SalesiHeart RadioRestaurant Hub
Voyager 2023 media awards
Subscribe
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / New Zealand

Kamahl Santamaria resignation: TVNZ boss' fury to staff over email leaked to Herald

Katie  Harris
By
Katie Harris
31 May, 2022 06:37 PM3 mins to read
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Kamahl Santamaria. Photo / Supplied

Kamahl Santamaria. Photo / Supplied

A top TVNZ boss has told staff he is "embarrassed" and "frankly disgusted" after an email from their CEO was leaked to the Herald.

Story production and operations general manager Andrew Fernie sent a furious email to staff, also now leaked to the Herald, this afternoon saying the challenging time did not excuse leaking internal emails to other news outlets.

"When I read 'TVNZ chief executive Simon Power, in an email to staff obtained by the Herald' on the Herald website, I feel so embarrassed and frankly quite disgusted. This is the time that we should be sticking together."

He wrote that it felt like "our reputation and our brand is being wilfully destroyed right now".

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"We'll get through this together, but together should not include the wider media. Look around the room. There's a team of loyal, hard-working professionals trying to do their jobs. Don't make it harder."

The initial leaked email had outlined plans for a review of the state broadcaster's recruitment processes after the abrupt resignation of Breakfast host Kamahl Santamaria.

Shortly after the leak the company released a statement regarding the situation.

Power, in the email to staff obtained by the Herald, said a senior lawyer has been asked to review recruitment policies, processes and practices to ensure they were fit for purpose and appropriately robust.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Power said it was his view that their recruitment policy had not been followed consistently and needed to be reviewed. Power said he shared this view with Broadcasting and Media Minister Kris Faafoi today.

He said once the review was complete he would share any recommendations with TVNZ staff.

"We do not tolerate any form of harassment or inappropriate behaviour in the workplace. We're committed to providing a working environment that is inclusive and respectful," Power said in the email.

He said there had been "many lessons" learned over the last few days and thanked staff for their commitment and care.

Related articles

New Zealand

TVNZ CEO orders review after Kamahl Santamaria resignation

31 May 03:25 AM
Politics

Kamahl Santamaria resignation: Faafoi won't say if happy with TVNZ bosses

30 May 10:47 PM
New Zealand|Politics

Kamahl Santamaria accused of sending inappropriate messages; Govt wants answers from TVNZ

30 May 09:18 PM
Entertainment

Who will replace Kamahl Santamaria on Breakfast couch?

30 May 10:19 PM

While Power said he was unable to comment on specific employment matters, he wrote that he wanted to share his thoughts on a "general level".

"If a team member raises an issue concerning the behaviour of another team member it's taken extremely seriously, treated confidentially, and investigated swiftly. Our number one priority, regardless of other matters, is to support and care for any individual who raises an issue."

That, he said, was of the utmost importance.

It is understood that staff at the state broadcaster are unhappy with the relative lack of consultation before Santamaria was made Breakfast co-host last month.

Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

CrimeUpdated

More jail time for Killer Bee who fled prison van in motorway escape

13 Apr 12:00 AM
Kahu

If the clumsy words of this Irishman have given offence then arohamai

12 Apr 11:10 PM
Kahu

Court pilot programmes face government review

12 Apr 10:39 PM
New Zealand

Watch: Thieves ram raid Auckland jewellery store as staff flee to locked room

12 Apr 10:29 PM

Pioneering neuroscience helps 1 in 3 Kiwis

sponsored
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

More jail time for Killer Bee who fled prison van in motorway escape

More jail time for Killer Bee who fled prison van in motorway escape

13 Apr 12:00 AM

His latest crime involved intimidating someone who wanted to leave the gang.

If the clumsy words of this Irishman have given offence then arohamai

If the clumsy words of this Irishman have given offence then arohamai

12 Apr 11:10 PM
Court pilot programmes face government review

Court pilot programmes face government review

12 Apr 10:39 PM
Watch: Thieves ram raid Auckland jewellery store as staff flee to locked room

Watch: Thieves ram raid Auckland jewellery store as staff flee to locked room

12 Apr 10:29 PM
Kids missing school to feed families
sponsored

Kids missing school to feed families

NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
  • Bundle subscriptions
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • What the Actual
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven CarGuide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2024 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP