An elderly woman who died in Northland house fire yesterday has been named as Eunice Violet Fraser, 79.
Mrs Fraser and her pet dog were found dead by her son on the bedroom floor of her Millington Rd house at Maungatapere, 12km southwest of Whangarei, about 7am yesterday.
Mrs Fraser was a heavy smoker and the fire is thought to have been started by a smouldering cigarette setting alight a chair.
Fire investigator Craig Bain said the woman was probably awoken by her dog's barking but when she got out of bed she and the dog were overcome by the smoke and died.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Smoke alarms had been installed but had been taken out of service.