Lorkin said she was pleased to be appointed.
But when approached by Hawke’s Bay Today, Gibson claimed it was the first he had heard of his replacement and he was still a member of the Risk and Assurance committee.
Gibson has also been removed from the council’s Hearings Committee - something he instigated due to existing commitments and a potential conflict of interest.
Councillor Derek Nowell-Usticke is his replacement on that committee.
Hawke’s Bay Today asked Schollum why Gibson didn’t realise he’d been removed from both committees.
She said:
“I had fully intended to give a quick call to each of the five councillors with changes to say I had been able to fulfil all requests for new appointments with the reshuffle.
“However, the sudden announcement about the Clifton campground meant I had to dedicate my time to that, including being briefed on the situation as it unfolded and attending a meeting with and presentation for the Clifton campers.
“All of the councillors had access to the papers from early afternoon Friday, so were able to see that I had been able to accommodate their requests.”
It’s the latest in what appears to be a developing rift between the new mayor and councillor.
Gibson, who was elected to council in October and came third in the race to be mayor, made headlines when he chose not to attend a strategic planning session for Hastings District Council on a marae in January because he felt uncomfortable about the process.
He also had a formal complaint laid against him by a staff member over his conduct at Hastings Art Gallery in December, amid controversy over an exhibit at the gallery that allowed patrons to stand on a mock NZ flag.
A preliminary assessment of that incident by a private investigator commissioned by council CEO Nigel Bickle has been completed, but it has yet to be made public.
Gibson said he had refused to meet with the mayor to discuss that assessment as only “half of the relevant witnesses were interviewed, and all of those were Council staff witnesses”.
A Hastings District Council spokesperson said an independent investigation would now be launched.
Hastings council group manager of democracy Craig Cameron said the recommendation in the assessor’s initial report was that the art gallery matter could be resolved at a low level through a meeting to discuss the next steps between Gibson and the mayor.
“Gibson refused those invitations. The Code of Conduct is quite clear, if a resolution as described cannot be reached, the next step is to refer the matter to an independent investigator,” Cameron said.
Schollum said it was disappointing the council had to take steps that would cost the ratepayers.
“It is not an outcome that is good for any of the parties.
“I do want to be clear that I have no jurisdiction over investigative matters under the Code of Conduct.
“They are deliberately kept out of the hands of the mayor and councillors to ensure fairness.”
Gibson claimed so far the investigation into his conduct has cost the council more than $9000.
“I expect it [the new investigation] will cost ratepayers an additional $10,000 at least.”
He said a simple mediated discussion could have resolved any misunderstandings without any cost to ratepayers.
“I will continue to co-operate, but I remain focused on ensuring the process is fair and transparent.
“At this stage, I cannot comment on the specifics of the investigation, which remains ongoing.”
Gibson said since being elected he had taken on a role with the local branch of Predator Free NZ, which he said reflected a longstanding personal interest.
He said he remained fully committed to his duties as an elected member and to representing the community constructively and professionally.
LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.