A burglar who broke into a golf club may have eaten rat poison, say police.
Poison was found scattered around the crime scene at Owaka Golf Club in southern Otago, and Senior Constable Murray Hewitson was concerned the culprit might have ingested the poison without realising what it was.
Up to $1000 in cash were taken from the club's safe during the break-in on Wednesday night. Alcohol and snacks were also stolen.
Mr Hewitson urged anyone with information about the incident to contact Owaka police immediately.