Sunday, 31 March 2024
KaitaiaWhangareiDargavilleAucklandThamesTaurangaHamiltonWhakataneRotoruaTokoroaTe KuitiTaumarunuiTaupoGisborneNew PlymouthNapierHastingsDannevirkeWhanganuiPalmerston NorthLevinParaparaumuMastertonWellingtonMotuekaNelsonBlenheimWestportReeftonKaikouraGreymouthHokitikaChristchurchAshburtonTimaruWanakaOamaruQueenstownDunedinGoreInvercargill
NZ HeraldThe Northern AdvocateThe Northland AgeThe AucklanderWaikato HeraldBay Of Plenty TimesRotorua Daily PostHawke's Bay TodayWhanganui ChronicleThe Stratford PressManawatu GuardianKapiti NewsHorowhenua ChronicleTe Awamutu CourierVivaEat WellOneRoofDRIVEN Car GuideThe CountryPhoto SalesiHeart RadioRestaurant Hub
Voyager 2023 media awards
Subscribe
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / New Zealand

Fiery protest 'endangered public'

APNZ
By Hayley Hannan and Amy Rosenfeld
26 Nov, 2011 05:29 AM3 mins to read
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
The car which was set on fire in Wellington's Cuba Street. Photo / Supplied

The car which was set on fire in Wellington's Cuba Street. Photo / Supplied

A Bay of Plenty farmer who set a car alight in a protest in central Wellington this afternoon has been arrested and charged with arson.

The 40-year-old man set his car on fire in Wellington's Cuba mall at about 1.30pm.

He will appear in court on Monday and police have indicated bail will be opposed.

Detective Sergeant Michael Priston said his actions 'clearly endangered' members of the public who were walking in the area.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"Police are taking the behaviour of this man very seriously and the charge reflects his dangerous actions."

Police also confirmed they had dealt with the same man earlier this week.

Police have spoken to sixteen witnesses, but have asked anybody who saw the incident or made visual recordings to contact them.

The man said in a video posted on Facebook that he was an ex-employee of the chairman of the Rural Bank of New Zealand.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"I've learnt a lot of stuff since then, and I've had enough. I'm gonna make this car disappear," he said.

He claimed that "fractional reserve lending is the root of all our problems" before walking to the boot of the car, which was filled with rubbish, with what appeared to be a lighter.

Watch a graphic video of the explosion here.

There were shrieks from by-standers as he was thrown backwards from the force of the explosion that followed.

Related articles

World

Tenth death in Sydney nursing home fire

26 Nov 12:06 AM
New Zealand|Crime

Farmer in court after explosive protest

27 Nov 04:30 PM

He then threw flaming material back into the boot of the car before closing it.

He announced to shocked witnesses that the car was full of petrol and asked them not to put it out.

"I'm just waiting for police to turn up, I've made my statement."

Plum cafe owner David Fenwick said he heard a loud bang about 1.50pm and ran out of his cafe to see what was going on.

"Suddenly we heard an explosion, so I ran out the front and saw a red station wagon, and there was a fire behind it. I thought it was a street performance gone wrong."

Mr Fenwick ran inside to grab a fire extinguisher, and with a neighbour shop employee, put out the pile of burning rubbish.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"Unfortunately it took hold pretty fast....and the fuel tank exploded. And then it was just noxious smoke and a burning car in the mall on a lovely sunny day."

The fuel tank explosion took part of the body work off, and the car was now a charred wreck with blown-out windows, he said.

The man had spraypainted the message "what is fractional reserve banking...Google it" next to the car, he said.

The protestor hung around after the fire, said Mr Fenwick.

"He was having altercations with passers-by and tried to defend his stance and his actions...He couldn't really hold an arguement as such, but kept mentioning "here's my stand, here's my stand". He wasn't too eloquent in his arguement or his reasoning," he said.

The "overexcited" man kept mentioning YouTube during his comments, he said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Amidst comments from the crowd of "what an idiot" and "what a dickhead", the protestor assured the crowd he would be gone once the police arrived, said Mr Fenwick.

The police then showed up at the scene and took the protestor away, he said.

People took to Twitter during and after the explosion, posting pictures and videos of the scalded car and smoke clouds.

Mr Fenwick said the car and surrounding broken glass had been cordoned off, and passerbys were stopping to take photos of the charred wreck.

Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

World

Kiwis in space: New Zealand Defence Force launches satellite

New Zealand

Rainbow activist describes being 'cornered' and allegedly assaulted by Destiny Church members

31 Mar 07:05 AM
New Zealand

One dead in three-vehicle crash in Marlborough, Easter holiday road toll moves to six

31 Mar 06:21 AM
New Zealand

Auckland protesters hold empty plates to highlight hunger in Gaza

31 Mar 05:30 AM

Pioneering neuroscience helps 1 in 3 Kiwis

sponsored
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

Kiwis in space: New Zealand Defence Force launches satellite

Kiwis in space: New Zealand Defence Force launches satellite

The New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) has officially entered the “space race” with the launch of an experimental communications satellite on board a Rocket Lab Electron rocket lifting off from the Wallops Launch Complex 2 in Virginia. Video / Rocket Lab

Rainbow activist describes being 'cornered' and allegedly assaulted by Destiny Church members

Rainbow activist describes being 'cornered' and allegedly assaulted by Destiny Church members

31 Mar 07:05 AM
One dead in three-vehicle crash in Marlborough, Easter holiday road toll moves to six

One dead in three-vehicle crash in Marlborough, Easter holiday road toll moves to six

31 Mar 06:21 AM
Auckland protesters hold empty plates to highlight hunger in Gaza

Auckland protesters hold empty plates to highlight hunger in Gaza

31 Mar 05:30 AM
Kids missing school to feed families
sponsored

Kids missing school to feed families

NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
  • Bundle subscriptions
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • What the Actual
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven CarGuide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2024 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP