Name suppression has been lifted for the driver accused of killing 17-year-old Jesse Howe and injuring 10 others by dangerously driving a vehicle.
Rotorua Boys' High School student Aaron Tawhara Gourlay, 18, appeared in the Rotorua District Court yesterday before Judge Jocelyn Munro.
Gourlay did not enter pleas to a charge of dangerous driving causing the death of Jesse and 10 charges of dangerous driving causing injury.
Jesse, 17, was one of 12 teenagers returning to Rotorua in a van after a party in Taupo in July last year when it crashed on State Highway 5 and rolled, throwing all occupants from the vehicle.
The people who were injured were Hope Archer, Codie Mckenzie, Maurice Bryant, Jakob Zohs, Jacob Robinson, Louise Duncan, Lawrence Duffy, Dennis Raymond, Daisy Sparke and Matthew Temm.
Gourlay's lawyer, Max Simpkins, indicated Gourlay would plead guilty to charges of careless driving causing death and careless driving causing injury but police were "not prepared to move on any of the charges".
The police prosecutor, Sergeant Richard van Arendonk, said the case had been reviewed by the police legal department and the serious crash unit.
They were "absolutely adamant" there would not be any movement on the charges.
Mr Simpkins said Gourlay was very concerned about the victims' families and his family did not want to prolong the case.
At Gourlay's first appearance on January 10 he was granted interim name suppression. The suppression order was lifted yesterday after Mr Simpkins said he would not oppose it being lifted.
Until yesterday, Gourlay was the subject of a bail condition preventing him from associating with the complainants. However, following an application by Mr Simpkins, Judge Munro changed the bail condition to enable Gourlay to have contact with four of the complainants.
Judge Munro remanded Gourlay on bail to appear again on March 29.