A public fireworks display in Te Puke last night to celebrate Diwali went wrong when the fireworks set fire to an orchard shelter belt.
Spokesman Jaron Philips says the Fire Service was called to the Sikh temple on No.3 Rd around 9.30pm.
Spokesman Jaron Philips says a big crowd gathered.
"Diwali festival in Te Puke on the No.3 road, fireworks got a little bit out of control and set fire to a shelter belt.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
"It burnt around 50 metres of the shelter belt."
Three fire engines from Te Puke attended, along with a water tanker.