Residents appear to have repelled an attempt by some of the protesters moved on from Parliament grounds who then tried to occupy the Wainuiōmata Marae.
Tensions were running high in Lower Hutt last night as a group ousted from central Wellington tried to rehome themselves elsewhere in the region, targeting the marae.
Residents from the Lower Hutt community turned out in force, blocking the entrance to the site, putting up cones and even sitting in chairs across the driveway.
A police helicopter circled overhead and continued flying late into the night.
A post on Facebook suggested the protesters stayed in the community, and spent the night in the Remutaka Forest Park and at a temple.
Attorney-General David Parker today told the AM show that what happened in Wellington these past few weeks was a "direct attack" on the rule of law and it was important to look at the role social media and overseas influences played.
"This was a violent mob who occupied the lawn at Parliament, who said unless they got their way they'd hang us.
"They blocked streets, they disrupted businesses, courts could not operate, children could not go to school. Journalists were harassed and threatened and when the policemen did their sworn duty they attacked the police and assaulted them," he said.
"This was a direct attack on the rule of law."
On the causes of the occupation, Parker said it was necessary to look at what were the overseas and social media influences that led people down rabbit holes.
Last night, Speaker Trevor Mallard weighed in on the resident blockade, saying he had spent some time at the marae on Thursday evening.
"My community is doing a better job of stopping the feral campers than I did," he wrote.
Residents have reported shop windows being damaged and campsites set up near the marae.
Wainuiōmata Marae was Wellington's first marae-based vaccination clinic.
'People are looking for answers'
Police Minister Poto Williams says while police staff have done an "extraordinary job" in relation to controlling the protest in Wellington, there is still a big piece of work needed to bring under control those who felt aggrieved with the Government.
"People are looking for answers to some of the big questions," she told Three's AM.
Williams acknowledged that where some of those people were sourcing their information from was questionable.
She described those involved in the protest as a marginalised part of the community.
She said there is no doubt that the protest in Wellington had been disrespectful, but what she wanted to see going forward was a real conversation and dialogue with those involved.
"This protest demonstrated that the police were really clear - they really wanted a peaceful resolution to this."
On the protesters, Williams said it was clear that the people involved were becoming increasingly violent and so that needed to be stopped immediately.
That was why the police operation on Wednesday took place when it did, she said.
The minister said Police were doing a lot of visible controls around the Wellington region in a bid to show the community that they would be putting a stop on any further protest activity should it pop up.
Earlier, Assistant Police Commissioner Richard Chambers said a total of 100 people had been arrested in relation to the Parliament protest's violent end this week, with charges including arson, rioting and inciting violence.
An additional 11 people had been arrested on Thursday, with a total of nine people charged with inciting violence and 78 with trespass or obstruction.
A significant investigation is under way into tracking down those who committed unlawful acts, with police viewing hours and hours of livestream footage.
"The hard work continues. The investigation phase will last for as long as it needs to hold people accountable," Chambers said.
Police said they had established a crime scene around Parliament grounds and the surrounding area. Forensic investigations are also under way to determine those responsible for the alleged arson of tents.
Police added they would also check for hazards before the area could reopen to the public.
Protest spokesman Leighton Baker was pepper-sprayed and arrested on Wednesday during the standoff with police. He was charged with obstruction and spent Wednesday night in custody.
The protesters were "mainly peaceful" he said and police were not justified in using pepper spray and, he claimed, batons.
"I got smacked in the side of the head with something," Baker told Newstalk ZB's Andrew Dickens. "I just didn't think that would happen in New Zealand."
Asked if police had used excessive force, Chambers said the response was necessary and proportionate to the actions they were facing. He confirmed that sponge bullets were fired at protesters.
The eight injured police officers admitted to hospital on Wednesday had all been discharged. Their injuries ranged from bumps and bruises to bone fractures and head injuries.
Chambers thanked Wellington Free Ambulance for their support during the violent clashes.
Earlier, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Wednesday's violence on Parliament grounds was a sight she never expected to see and the area was now something akin to a "rubbish dump".
The grounds would be restored as quickly as possible and being able to return and enjoy the area would be quite symbolic for the public, she said.
In total, 600 police staff were involved and 50 firefighters. However, 40 police officers were injured, including the eight admitted to hospital.
Ardern thanked police, fire and security staff, many of whom were abused.
"To each of you, we say thank you. You were there throughout these events at great risk to yourselves. Many of you were abused, some were injured. But you put your personal safety aside, in order to look after others. And for that we are very grateful."
Earlier on Thursday, police said they were continuing to maintain a high-visibility foot presence around the Parliamentary grounds and neighbouring streets.
They said seven staff were in hospital overnight with non-life-threatening injuries.
Aitken St, Molesworth St and Kate Sheppard Place remain blocked by concrete barriers but these are expected to be removed on Friday.
"The area was generally quiet with a small number of protesters located near the site, and Parliament grounds remain closed," a police spokesperson said.