A Turkish citizen who was wounded in the Christchurch mosque shootings has died, bringing the death toll from the terror attacks to 51.
The 46-year-old died late last night, police confirmed this morning.
The man, who was injured in the Al Noor Mosque during the March 15 attacks, had been in a critical condition in Christchurch Hospital since the shootings.
He was one of three Turkish citizens injured in the attacks.
"Police wish to extend their condolences to the man's family and loved ones," police said in a statement.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has this morning expressed her "heartfelt condolences" to the man's family, friends and community.
"This sad news will be felt across Turkey, as well as New Zealand," she said in a statement.
"This man has been in intensive care since the attack. We have all been hoping for the best. However, he has now succumbed to the injuries sustained in the shooting at the Al Noor Mosque.
"I want to acknowledge all the medical staff who have cared for the 49 men, women, and children who were shot and wounded in the attack and taken to hospital.
"This is only the second victim to die while in hospital - the first was unable to be resuscitated on arrival on March 15. This is a testament to the extraordinary work put in by the medical staff at Christchurch, Burwood and Starship Hospitals in the aftermath of the shooting to save lives."
Nine people who were shot in the terror attack still remain in hospital, she said. All are in a stable condition.
"As a country, we continue to send our hope for their speedy recovery," Ardern said.
Turkey's foreign minister announced the man's death on Twitter overnight.
"Unfortunately, we have lost our citizen...who was seriously wounded in the treacherous terrorist attack in Christchurch, New Zealand," Mevlut Cavusoglu posted.
The Turkish state-run Anadolu Agency said the father-of-two was wounded in the back and the leg and died on Thursday after undergoing surgery.
His brother reportedly told Anadolu that the victim had been taken to surgery on Thursday, but he could not be saved.
"He had surgery today, they couldn't stop the bleeding so we lost him," he is reported as saying.
"We were happy because we thought it was going well, he had been battling for 50 days."
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had strongly condemned the Christchurch attack and showed clips of a video taken by the gunman at election campaigns to denounce hatred against Islam.
The man's death raises the death toll from the double mosque shooting to 51. Around 50 people were injured in the attack on two mosques during Friday prayers on March 15.
An Australian man who had been living in Dunedin has been charged with 50 counts of murder following the attack, and 39 charges of attempted murder.
- additional reporting: AP