Saturday, 13 April 2024
KaitaiaWhangareiDargavilleAucklandThamesTaurangaHamiltonWhakataneRotoruaTokoroaTe KuitiTaumarunuiTaupoGisborneNew PlymouthNapierHastingsDannevirkeWhanganuiPalmerston NorthLevinParaparaumuMastertonWellingtonMotuekaNelsonBlenheimWestportReeftonKaikouraGreymouthHokitikaChristchurchAshburtonTimaruWanakaOamaruQueenstownDunedinGoreInvercargill
NZ HeraldThe Northern AdvocateThe Northland AgeThe AucklanderWaikato HeraldBay Of Plenty TimesRotorua Daily PostHawke's Bay TodayWhanganui ChronicleThe Stratford PressManawatu GuardianKapiti NewsHorowhenua ChronicleTe Awamutu CourierVivaEat WellOneRoofDRIVEN Car GuideThe CountryPhoto SalesiHeart RadioRestaurant Hub
Voyager 2023 media awards
Subscribe
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / New Zealand

Budget 2018: Corrections gets boost to cope with fast-growing prison population

Isaac Davison
By
Isaac Davison
17 May, 2018 02:07 AM3 mins to read
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Finance Minister Grant Robertson at the Budget lock-up. / Mark Mitchell

Nearly $200m will be spent on urgently building pop-up jail cells to cope with the growing prison population.

The new "rapid build modular units" would be able to fit 600 additional inmates, according to Budget documents.

They will be in place by the end of 2019.

Another $316m over four years will go towards the operating costs related to the growing prison muster.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The coalition Government has committed to reducing the prison population by 30 per cent over 15 years.

The prison muster is currently 10,700 - leaving just 350 spare beds. It is forecast to rise 12,000 by 2025.

Total spending on prisons will exceed $1b for the first time in the next year. It will rise to $1.03b in the next year, an increase of $40m.

"Government spending on prisons has been described as a moral and fiscal failure," Corrections Minister Kelvin Davis said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"Budget 2018 marks the start of this Government's plans to reform New Zealand's Corrections landscape."

He said the most serious offenders would still be imprisoned.

But the Government wanted to ensure that there was more support for ex-prisoners in the community and to prevent reoffending.

To address this it has put $57.6m into housing and support services, which will help 300 people a year. It would cover housing costs, job training, health services, and other services.

Related articles

New Zealand|Politics

Youth justice funding as age increases to 17

17 May 03:00 AM
Business

Budget 2018: Treasury halves forecast progress on KiwiBuild

17 May 02:13 AM
Business

Budget 2018: Production Commission to investigate impact of disruptive tech

17 May 02:15 AM
Business

Budget 2018: Govt allocates $85M to fight cattle disease

17 May 02:21 AM

Another $82.7m over four years would be spent on increasing the number of probation officers by 270, and electronic monitoring would get $8.6m in funding to expand it to 1000 people in total.

Alcohol treatment centres would be maintained and expanded through funding of $8.6m

There are no details on the expansion of Waikeria Prison, which the Government is due to make a decision on this month.

Finance Minister Grant Robertson said today that Cabinet was still working on its decision. Funding had already been allocated for expansion of the Waikato-based prison.

He said the Government did not want to keep building prisons, but that Waikeria would need upgrading because it was old and rundown.

POLICE

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

New spending of nearly $300m will go towards expanding the police force - a key election promise and part of Labour's coalition agreement with NZ First.

The coalition Government has promised 1800 new officers, including 1100 more officers on the streets.

The funding in Budget 2018 will enable the recruitment of 920 new officers and 240 support staff.

That was on top of 880 new police officers and 245 support staff which were funded in the previous, National Government Budget last year.

DRUG-SMUGGLING

International drug trafficking will be targeted through a $54.2m funding boost for Customs over the next four years.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

It would allow Customs to hire an additional 127 staff in New Zealand and overseas.

The new spending will also go towards measures which help Customs officers make drug seizures offshore, and will support maritime patrols and other frontline resources.

Another $4m will pay for new inflatable boats, mobile x-ray vans and resources for detector-dog teams.

Customs Minister Meka Whaitiri said criminal networks were motivated by the relatively high cost of illicit drugs in New Zealand, and were becoming more sophisticated.

Drugs like methamphetamine and cocaine were being seized in larger quantities at the border, she said.

The estimated social cost of illegal drugs was $1.8 billion a year.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

New Zealand|Crime

'We were afraid': Witness describes dramatic ram raid at Auckland jewellery store

12 Apr 10:44 AM
New Zealand|Crime

Westmere cul-de-sac where pair found critically injured in car a known party spot

12 Apr 09:22 AM
New Zealand

David Seymour visits Tauranga

Crime

Teen fights for life after being run over multiple times in targeted attack

12 Apr 07:03 AM

Pioneering neuroscience helps 1 in 3 Kiwis

sponsored
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

'We were afraid': Witness describes dramatic ram raid at Auckland jewellery store

'We were afraid': Witness describes dramatic ram raid at Auckland jewellery store

12 Apr 10:44 AM

Black barriers and security are standing guard in front of the store.

Westmere cul-de-sac where pair found critically injured in car a known party spot

Westmere cul-de-sac where pair found critically injured in car a known party spot

12 Apr 09:22 AM
David Seymour visits Tauranga

David Seymour visits Tauranga

Teen fights for life after being run over multiple times in targeted attack

Teen fights for life after being run over multiple times in targeted attack

12 Apr 07:03 AM
Kids missing school to feed families
sponsored

Kids missing school to feed families

NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
  • Bundle subscriptions
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • What the Actual
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven CarGuide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2024 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP