A video of a violent brawl among Bay Dreams festival goers has circulated on social media.
Three people were arrested for disorder and drug possession at the Mount Maunganui festival yesterday. A police spokeswoman said the arrests for disorderly behaviour were made about 4.45pm but said it was unclear whether the arrests were connected to the brawl.
A police spokeswoman said she was aware that three people had been taken into custody in the event area.
• Bay Dreams: Inside New Zealand's biggest music festival. It gets 'better every year'
• Sold out Bay Dreams festival kicks off
• Bay Dreams brawl: Arrests for disorder and drug possession at festival
• Two people critical after incidents in Pāpāmoa streets
• Premium - Bay Dreams festival in Mount Maunganui brings 30K people, $4m economic boost, 1200 jobs
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Two people received pre-charge warnings for disorderly behaviour and one person, a 30-year-old male, is due to appear in Tauranga District Court today charged with ecstasy possession, she said.
Meanwhile two people were taken to hospital in a critical condition in separate incidents in Pāpāmoa.
The first person collapsed at a Bay Dreams park-and-ride bus stop on Parton Rd in Pāpāmoa. The second was found ill on the side of Pāpāmoa Beach Rd between Golden Sands Drive and Short Pl later in the afternoon.
Both patients were rushed to Tauranga Hospital by ambulance.
More to come.