A man who witnessed the aftermath of a crash between a car and the Southern Steel netball team's van says it's "unbelievable" no one was killed.

The rental van, with six netball players on board, was hit by a car at the intersection of Memorial Ave and Clyde Rd in Fendalton, tipping the van on its side, according to a post on the team's Facebook page.

Steel lead physiotherapist Corina Ngatuere said four players were taken to Christchurch Hospital's emergency department as a precautionary measure. Two have since been discharged with two still being assessed. "Everyone is stable," she said.

Alan Cochlan and wife Jay live on the corner and were walking to the supermarket when the accident happened shortly before 1 o'clock this afternoon.

Cochlan saw traffic suddenly stop, and turned back to find what looked like a 12-seater Budget Rental van on its side. A white car with two people inside was crumpled up at the front and all its airbags had been deployed.


It appeared the van had swerved violently to avoid the car before tipping, Cochlan said.

"The van had turned and slid down the street. The glass was all over the road from the impact, all the windows had been shattered."

Several tall women - he guessed they were netball or volleyball players - crawled out of the van, with some lying on the side of the road, he said.

"It must have been hellishly traumatic sliding that far. The driver's side was on the side that slide down. They would have all fell to one side - their lives must have been flashing before their eyes," Cochlan said.

"It's unbelievable really that there was not a fatality."

He said St John ambulance officers were at the scene "incredibly" quickly. He counted four ambulances, four police cars and at least one fire engine.

An elderly woman who was driving the car climbed out and walked to a waiting ambulance, but her elderly male passenger had to be freed because all the airbags had been deployed, he said.

A second group of netball players arrived soon after, also in a rental van, with some accompanying players to hospital.

A police spokeswoman confirmed police were called to a crash between a van and a car at 12.52pm. Police were making inquiries into the circumstances around the crash, she said.

Steel chief executive Lana Winders said the franchise's top priority was the players.

"Absolutely the welfare of our players is our main concern. They are understandably shocked and our focus is on supporting them in their recovery. We will reassess the situation tomorrow."

The organisers of the ANZ Premiership, and Steel's Wednesday night opponent the Mainland Tactix, are being kept updated.