A 30-year-old Horowhenua man has been moved out of Wellington's ICU after being seriously assaulted on Tuesday night last week.
The victim is believed to have been on Stafford Street in Shannon at around 10.50pm when he was attacked.
A scene guard was in place last week with several police and forensics door knocking the small township. One man was subsequently arrested on Thursday and appeared in the Levin District Court yesterday.
He is charged with causing grievous bodily harm and has been remanded in custody.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Detective Senior Sergeant Craig Sheridan said police believed they had arrested the principal offender but were still looking to speak with people who may have been at the scene.
Police said the offender was known to the victim and left the scene in a dark coloured vehicle.
Detective Sergeant Shelley Ross said a forensic scene examination and a search warrant at a nearby property had been conducted but police were still looking for a weapon.
The victim had originally been transported by ambulance to Palmerston North hospital before being transferred to Wellington in a critical condition.
"A family member called the ambulance," said Detective Sergeant Ross. "There was no delay in getting him medical attention."
Anyone with information relevant to this investigation is asked to Detective Sergeant Vine on (06) 210 2233.
Alternatively information can be provided anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.