A young boy shared a stash of his father's Ecstasy pills with a group of school friends after mistaking them for lollies.

The 8-year-old found the pills in his father's car, sharing with four friends aged between 7 and 9 at a primary school in Riau, Indonesia.

According to local news agencies, two of the boys refused to eat the pills due to the bitter taste, however the other three were taken to hospital after complaining of headaches and dizziness.

"The kids thought the green pills in their parents' car were candy. They cut up the pills and shared them with friends," Riau Police spokesperson Sunarto said.

Advertisement

"They are feeling better now. They have received treatment."

The 46-year-old father was arrest after admitting he owned the Ecstasy stashed in his car.

The incident isn't the first time a parent has inadvertently given drugs to their child.

In 2012, a Wanganui woman was convicted of giving cannabis to her 3-month old baby through her breast milk, in what is believed to be the first case of its kind in New Zealand.

The 29-year-old was charged with administering a class C controlled drug, namely cannabis, to a person under the age of 18.

She pleaded guilty and was sentenced to six months' supervision.

In 2018, a US mum was charged when her baby died from drinking breast milk that contained drugs.

Samantha Jones' 11-week-old son was killed by a cocktail of methadone, amphetamine and methylamphetamine passed through the Pennsylvania mum's breast milk

Advertisement

The 30-year-old Jones reportedly told authorities she was prescribed methadone for her addiction to painkillers.