A woman was shocked to find her cat being sold on Facebook marketplace for £50 ($95) after taking him to the vets. Kelly Samuels, from Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, in the UK said she took her cat, Casper, to a vet last Tuesday because she thought he had an abscess. He was treated with antibiotics and painkillers.

His condition worsened on Thursday, so she rushed him back, and he stayed overnight. On Friday morning, the vet still hadn't removed the abscess, which left the worried woman thinking he had a serious condition.

She said she was convinced he had a kidney problem that would cause him to have a painful life and require expensive long-term treatment.

A family friend spotted an ad on Facebook marketplace, selling Casper for $95.
A family friend spotted an ad on Facebook marketplace, selling Casper for $95.

Unable to afford the treatment, she gave him to her father, and said that if it was serious and causing him a lot of pain, putting him to sleep was an option.


Samuels claims the vet then told her father her pet "would need long-term treatment for his kidney, which would be a hefty cost and no guarantees it would work," but offered for the animal to be signed over to the vet's care so they could arrange for him to be looked after.

She telephoned the vet on Monday morning to find out how he was — and found that instead of a severe kidney problem, her animal had just had an abscess and was perfectly healthy.

Overjoyed, she asked to pay for her cat's stay at the vets and asked if she could have him back, but they "wouldn't budge".

A family friend then saw Casper being sold on Facebook marketplace for £50 and alerted Samuels, who said: "I have three brokenhearted children here that loved that cat to the moon and back, one of them special needs that is having trouble understanding. He should be at home with his family in the surroundings he knows and loves."

She began a Facebook campaign to get her cat returned, which received hundreds of likes and shares. Friends of the family said the cat was doted upon and well-loved.

Samuels told the Telegraph: "The vet said on the Friday that he would need lengthy treatment that would be of high cost, that's why it was agreed for his care to be signed over because I couldn't afford the hundreds of pounds. He was put up on a selling page two days later as a healthy cat."

The veterinary practice claimed the cat was healthy but that its owner had tried to get him put down instead of paying the bills, which she says is untrue and shared a receipt of her payments.

The veterinary clinic declined to comment, but said they have given the cat back to Samuels.

She confirmed this, and said she would be taking no legal action against the practice, telling the Telegraph: "They made the right decision and let him come home yesterday. I'm just happy to have him back so won't be pursuing anything."