From its humble beginnings as part of turn-of-the-century military uniforms to its brooding incarnation via rebellious Hollywood film stars such as Marlon Brando and James Dean, the leather jacket remains a wardrobe staple - whatever the season. As autumn deliveries make their way into stores, several retailers have included leather jackets that are neatly tailored and cropped, the versatile garment's evolution a result of busy lifestyles that demand clothes able to work around the clock. Team a tidy leather jacket with after-five party dresses or casual shirts and jeans for the weekend.
How to take care of your leather jacket:
• Invest in a protectant spray to keep your leather safe from water and rain.
• Air-dry or lay your jacket in the sun if you do get water on it.
• Apply a leather conditioner to soften and protect your leather.
• Blot any ink stains and mould with a white cloth, rubbing alcohol or mild, soapy water.
• Dry-clean when you're ready to pack it away for storage (and preferably on a well-padded hanger).
Photographer: Greg Bowker
Hair and makeup: Katie Melody Rogers using M.A.C Cosmetics
Model: Tiggy Ridgway from 62 Models
Fashion assistant: Phoebe Kumara