Princess Xena is to rise from the ashes — and Kiwi actress Lucy Lawless could still play a part.
After months of speculation, American TV giant NBC has confirmed it is developing a reboot of the popular fantasy-adventure which ran for six seasons from 1995-2001.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the network wants the new series of Xena:Warrior Princess to have the feel of The Hunger Games.
The new lead female character, made famous by Lawless, will be a "smart superhero for a new generation".
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Bob Greenblatt, NBC's entertainment chairman, said the revival was in the "early stages" and a new writer was being sought.
"I don't think it is just a continuation, but we haven't got that far," he said. "I think it's a great character and we should try to figure out how to revive it somehow."
Xena was slain at the end of the last season but Greenblatt said no firm decisions had been made about Lawless' potential involvement.
"We would love to have Lucy be a part of it — if we felt her presence didn't overshadow the direction we take with it."
Lawless took to Twitter on Friday to say the remake would happen because of pressure from fans. "If a Xena reboot gets made, it's because the fans are beautiful, hardcore nutballs who want what they want."