The organiser of a failed Auckland music festival has promised refunds within the next two weeks after an outcry from ticketholders wanting their money back.

Last week, the plug was pulled on January's two-day Echo Festival, featuring headliners Disclosure and The Flaming Lips, due to poor ticket sales.

The festival was initially based at McLaren Falls in the Bay of Plenty, but issues with consents forced the move to Auckland and a name change in October. It was axed last week.

Full refunds were offered to ticketholders, but many have taken to Facebook to complain they are having trouble getting them.

Advertisement

"Hey Echo Festival, how's about that $700 ticket/camping refund I'm still waiting on?" wrote one aggrieved punter.

"I requested a refund a month ago following up with emails that have gone unanswered. Can some one please get back to me?" wrote another.

"This is bullshit. Give our money back," said a third.

Eventopia, the ticketing agency responsible for the refunds, called the situation "completely unacceptable" and said it was waiting for the festival to "return the funds" so it could return them to ticketholders.

"We deeply apologise for such an inconvenient situation and the lack of communication. The reason for this is we have been waiting for the promoter of the festival to return the funds to us so that we can complete all refunds.

"It has now taken far too long and this is completely unacceptable," Eventopia wrote in emailed messages to ticketholders.

Today, festival boss Paxton Talbot told the Herald refunds would be paid by December 17.

"Everyone's going to get their money back. Everyone needs to be reassured that they are going to get their money ... within the next two weeks. That's going to give us time to get everything organised."

Advertisement

Requests for further comment from Eventopia by the Herald have gone unanswered.

Echo Festival was axed last week due to "insufficient ticket sales".

"Despite this world class line-up of artists, and a strong promotional campaign and apparent public support, the event simply hasn't had sufficient ticket sales to date to make the festival viable, we have today made the hugely difficult decision to cancel the event. It would not be fair on the bands, the suppliers or the audience if we were to continue pursuing the project," said Talbot in a statement.

He told The Wireless he could lose millions if he went ahead with the festival.

- nzherald.co.nz