But in the latest edition of Woman's Weekly, McRoberts says his wife helped console him after Barry left the network.
"I was a little down in the dumps for a bit. Even my wife Paul (Penfold) joked to friends at the time, 'Oh, it's very weird. I'm having to support my husband through a difficult break-up," he said.
He also tells WW that Barry's decision to leave TV3 was "disappointing".
"I miss Hilary. We still keep in contact, and while it was disappointing because we'd been together so long, I could understand why she felt like she wanted to take a break and get her life back.
"The way I got through it was thinking I was really lucky to have been part of such an incredible partnership in the first place."
Barry is understood to be joining TVNZ, possibly as a morning co-host alongside Jack Tame.
Read more: TVNZ Breakfast hosts Rawdon Christie and Nadine Chalmers-Ross shown door
It was reported on Friday that current TV One Breakfast hosts Rawdon Christie and Nadine Chalmers-Ross had been told the news, and they were later seen drinking at an inner city bar.