An interview with a whistleblower about the kohanga reo movement is going to be screened by Maori Television two weeks after it was cited as the root of staff revolt.
The broadcaster has sent a press release saying it will broadcast an interview with Te Kohanga Reo National Trust board member Toni Waho next Monday.
Last week, it was cited as one of two editorial issues causing friction between staff at Native Affairs and executives at Maori Television. Presenter and journalist Mihingarangi Forbes resigned amid the staff upset and has since taken a job at Radio New Zealand.
The Herald was told staff became upset after the story was pulled from last night's broadcast.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Other sources at the channel say legal concerns about the story were raised by management. While the concerns were resolved by midday yesterday, managers stood by their decision not to run the story last night.
The initial cancellation of the show and a cancelled debate over whanau ora were said to have angered staff who felt it showed a willingness to interfere with editorial content.
The interview next week comes two years after Native Affairs revealed concerns over spending at the trust, sparking a number of inquiries.
Waho was removed from the board after raising concerns about spending and management decisions last year.
Maori Television news boss Maramena Roderick said it was important to review the story and look to the future of the kohanga reo movement.
"Ensuring tamariki are receiving the best education and support in their language learning was, is and always will be a priority. We should always ask the questions that safeguard and promote the survival of the Maori language."