For the pastry
For the stuffing
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|250 g||Beef mince (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 pinch||Cayenne pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh parsley|
|1 Ltr||Vegetable oil|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- To make the pastry, put the flour on the bench, make a hole in the middle, and put in the butter, salt, egg yolk and two tablespoons of cold water.
- With your fingertips, gradually draw the flour into the centre and work the pastry until all is incorporated. Add more cold water if necessary until you have a nice ball of pastry. Put plastic wrap around it and rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- To make the stuffing, heat the oil in a frypan and saute the mince and onions till golden.
- Add the tomato concentrate (paste), Vegemite, salt, pepper and cayenne and a few tablespoons of water. Let this mixture cook gently for five minutes, remove from the heat to cool, then stir in the parsley.
- Roll out the pastry thinly and cut out 10cm rounds with a pastry cutter. Just below the centre of the pastry round, put a teaspoon of stuffing. Brush the edges with beaten egg, fold in half and stick together with t fork prongs.
- Heat oil to 180C and deep fry in batches until they pop to the top and are golden. Drain on a rack over paper towels. Eat warm.