Pumpkin pie is often served at Thanksgiving and Christmas, which fall during the harvest season in the US and Canada. If you've never made pumpkin pie before, I warn you it's addictively good. This keeps for a few days in the fridge.
For the pie
|1 kg||Pumpkin, skin on, halved and deseeded (Main)|
|250 g||Sour cream|
|½ cup||Soft brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Treacle, or golden syrup|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|1 tsp||Ground cardamom|
|1||Orange, finely grated zest only|
|1 small handful||Pecan / Walnuts, to serve|
|1 serving||Creme fraiche, or whipped cream, to serve|
For the ginger crust
|250 g||Vanilla wine biscuits (Main)|
|2 tsp||Ground ginger|
|140 g||Butter, melted|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat oven to 180C fanbake.
- Grease the sides of a 25cm-diameter, high-sided, loose-bottomed pie tin and line the base with baking paper. (If you only have a shallow flan tin, make half the amount of filling mixture.)
- Arrange pumpkin cut-side down on a baking paper-lined oven tray. Bake until it is easily pierced with a fork (40-50 minutes). Remove from oven and increase temperature to 200C.
- Meanwhile, to make the ginger crust, finely crumb biscuits and mix in ginger and butter evenly. Press over the base of the pie tin and 4cm up the side. Chill.
- Scrape pumpkin flesh into a bowl or food processor and puree - you should have about 3½ cups. Add sour cream, brown sugar, treacle or golden syrup, eggs, spices, zest and salt to the puree and blend until smooth. Pour into the chilled crust and smooth the top.
- Bake until filling is set (35-40 minutes). Allow the pie to cool before serving at room temperature garnished with maple-glazed nuts and cinnamon honey creme fraiche. Leftover pie will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
More thanksgiving recipes from Annabel
Essential Annabel Langbein (Annabel Langbein Media, $65) is a beautiful compendium of Annabel’s best-ever savoury recipes and cooking tips. It makes a great Christmas gift and it’s on sale now at Paper Plus, Whitcoulls, The Warehouse and all good bookstores. Find out more atannabel-langbein.comor follow Annabel on Facebook or Instagram.