|1 kg||Tomato (Main)|
|4 cups||Chicken stock|
|1 tsp||Dried basil|
|½ tsp||Iodised salt|
|1 to taste||Ground black pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|1 handful||Basil leaves|
|2||Sweet pastry sheet|
|¼ cup||Basil pesto|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Peel onions and chop finely. Crush garlic, peel and chop finely. Place tomatoes in a large bowl. Pour over boiling water and leave for 10 minutes. Drain. Peel off skins.
- Cut tomatoes in half and chop roughly. Heat butter in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook for one to two minutes, stirring often. Add chicken stock and slowly bring to the boil.
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes. Add to tomato mixture with basil, salt, pepper, tomato paste and sugar. Simmer until vegetables are cooked. Mash soup with a potato masher. Wash courgette. Peel long thin shards from courgettes and cut each shard into thin spaghetti-like slices.
- Serve soup with courgette, basil leaves and pesto sables.
To prepare pesto sables
- Spread each pastry sheet with two tablespoons pesto and roll up as for a sponge roll. Cut on the diagonal into 2cm-thick slices.
- Place on a baking paper-lined baking tray. Bake at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes or until golden and cooked.