There is plenty of seafood in Niue as fishing is a major pastime. This is good with a side of steamed jasmine rice.
For the dressing
|4 Tbsp||Lime juice|
|3 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Palm sugar, crushed|
|100 ml||Coconut cream|
|1||Red chilli, thiny sliced|
|1||Garlic clove, finely chopped|
|1||Kaffir lime leaf, central stem removed, leaf very thinly sliced|
For the salad
|300 g||Green beans, stalk ends cut off|
|250 g||Cherry tomatoes, halved|
|700 g||White fish, firm; skinned and boned, cut into 10cm pieces (Main)|
|¼ cup||Fried shallots|
|1 handful||Coriander sprigs|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
To make the dressing
Put everything in a small bowl and mix well to dissolve the sugar. Reserve.
To make the salad
- Boil the beans in plenty of salted water for 3 minutes,remove from the heat, drain and reserve.
- Pile the beans and tomatoes on a serving platter.
- Steam the fish pieces side by side on a piece of banana leaf or baking paper over moderate heat for about 5 minutes or until just cooked through. (The steaming time will depend on how thick the fish is. Cut a piece open to check that it is cooked, if necessary.)
- Remove from the steamer and place on top of the beans and tomatoes.
- Spoon the dressing over everything. Sprinkle the shallots and coriander on top and serve.