A fruity muesli is a lovely way to start Christmas Day. It can be made ahead and the oaty goodness will stand you in good stead for a long day of fun festivities.
I love my bircher with lots of texture so have used wholegrain oats, but if you prefer it smoother, use instant or crushed oats.
|2 cups||Rolled oats, wholegrain|
|1 tsp||Cinnamon, or mixed spice|
|1 ½ cups||Dried fruit, I used ½ cup each diced apricots, goji berries and cranberries (Main)|
|1 cup||Fruit juice|
|1 cup||Yoghurt, runny, + extra if needed|
|¼ cup||Lemon juice, or orange juice|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Combine the oats, dried fruits, cinnamon, juice, water and yogurt and mix well.
- Cover and chill overnight (this makes the oats swell and absorb allthe flavours).
- The next day grate the apple and toss with the lemon or orange juice – to prevent browning.
- Combine the apple with the oats and add extra yoghurt to the desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh berries and pistachio nuts, drizzle with honey if desired.
- Serve in little glasses or a large jar and let your guests help themselves.
Note: I love my bircher with lots of texture so have used wholegrain oats, but if you prefer it smoother, use instant or crushed oats.