Without a doubt, this is the best fruit pudding I’ve ever made – without all the hassles of topping up water in a large pot on the stove.
|500 g||Mixed fruit, I used sultanas, raisins and chopped apricots (Main)|
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|¼ cup||Freshly squeezed orange juice|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|2||Eggs, lightly beaten|
|½ cup||Carrots, grated, optional|
|1 cup||Self raising flour|
|1 tsp||Mixed spice|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- In a saucepan, combine mixed fruit, brown sugar, butter, orange juice and brandy.
- Heat until the butter is melted and the mixture begins to boil.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then add soda and allow to cool.
- Grease and line base of a 10-cup pudding bowl.
- Add eggs and grated carrot (if using) to the cooked mixture and mix until well combined.
- Fold through flour and spice. Pour mixture into prepared bowl, cover with double layer of foil and secure tightly with string.
- Cover with lid. Place in the slow cooker with water coming up to halfway up the basin.
- Cover and cook on high for 7-9 hours.
Cook's tip:This pudding is perfect if you make it in the evening and turn it off as soon as you wake in the morning. Leave to cool in the slow cooker and then reheat in the microwave when you need it – this will "melt" the fruit and make it taste incredible.