Canned tuna in oil is moist, while tuna packed in spring water can be dry; the choice is yours as both work. If you do not have curry paste to hand, flavour with a dry seasoning Thai spice blend or traditional curry powder, allowing 2-3 teaspoons, which should be cooked with the onions to release the essential oils. If you have more than required, freeze the fish cakes once crumbed and defrost in the fridge. The beaten egg whites ensure the fish cakes will be light in texture once cooked.
|600 g||Red-skinned kumaras, peeled (Main)|
|1||Onion, peeled and finely chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Finely grated root ginger|
|2 Tbsp||Thai red curry paste, or Thai green curry paste (Main)|
|425 g||Canned tuna, chunks in spring water or oil (Main)|
|¼ cup||Chopped basil, or coriander, or a mix of both|
|1 cup||White sesame seeds, un-toasted (Main)|
|1 drizzle||Neutral oil, for frying|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Cut the kumara into small even-sized pieces and cook in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain well and mash until very smooth. Cool.
- Cook the onion, ginger and curry paste with a good dash of oil in a frying pan until the onion is well cooked. Do this over a low-moderate heat to avoid the onion burning. Add to the kumara.
- Drain the tuna and flake coarsely, add to the kumara with the herbs and egg yolks and stir very gently to mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the kumara and tuna mix. Mould spoonfuls — size depends on you, they can be large or small — into patties and toss in the sesame seeds, coating both sides. The fish cakes can be refrigerated at this stage and cooked later (up to three days' time).
- Pour sufficient flavourless oil into a frying pan to coat the base well. Once hot, pan-fry fish cakes over moderate heat until sesame seeds are golden. Turn over. Repeat until the seeds are golden and the fish cakes hot. Drain on absorbent paper while you cook the remaining mixture. Cooked patties can be kept warm in a low oven. Serve with my fresh cucumber relish.Get the recipe here.