|½ tsp||Saffron threads|
|1||Extra virgin olive oil|
|600 g||Boneless chicken thighs, skin removed and cubed (Main)|
|1||Red onion, peeled and diced|
|2 tsp||Sweet smoked paprika|
|½ cup||White wine|
|3||Tomatoes, peeled and chopped|
|4 cups||Chicken stock|
|2 cups||Paella rice, or use short or medium grain rice|
|3 Tbsp||Marjoram leaves, chopped|
|500 g||Raw prawns, whole (Main)|
|2||Red peppers, seeds removed, flesh thinly sliced|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Place saffron in ¼ cup boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes to dissolve.
- Heat a paella pan or large frying pan, add a little oil and brown chicken cubes all over for 5 minutes. Remove to one side.
- Add onion, garlic and a little more oil to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly until the onion has softened.
- Add paprika, white wine, tomatoes, dissolved saffron and stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the rice then cook uncovered over a medium flame without stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken and marjoram or parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange prawns and sliced peppers on the surface of the rice and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- The rice should be tender to the bite, the liquid evaporated and a slight crust formed on the bottom of the pan.