|8||Courgette flowers, baby courgettes still attached if possible (Main)|
|150 g||Ricotta cheese (Main)|
|½ cup||Parmesan cheese, shredded (Main)|
|¼ cup||Basil leaves, torn roghly|
|½ tsp||Baking powder|
|100 ml||Water, cold|
|1 serving||Oil, for frying|
|1 serving||Runny honey, to drizzle|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Handle courgette flowers gently. Remove any dirt and stamens from the flowers.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, parmesan, basil, salt and pepper. Carefully spoon mixture into the flowers, not overfilling. Twist the end to seal.
- To make the batter: mix the flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Place egg white in a well in the middle, then slowly add the water, mixing until you have a smooth batter, the consistency of cream.
- In a heavy-based frying pan heat the oil to a medium heat. (Drop a piece of bread in — if it browns in 20-30 seconds your oil is ready.)
- Dip flowers in the batter, drain any excess and shallow fry, a couple at a time, turning as required. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm, drizzled with honey.