Red cabbage makes the perfect base for this slaw and the summer fruit bowl is your oyster when it comes to adding layers of flavour, texture and sweetness. Try watermelon, nectarines and apples. Use as much cabbage as you think you'll need. I find it easier to cut the cabbage into quarters and then into eighths, lie it down and then slice as thinly as possible. A quality aged vinegar (Sabato.co.nz has a good selection) will give you the best flavour.
|1 Tbsp||Aged sherry vinegar|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Pomegranate, fresh (Main)|
|¼||Red cabbages, thinly sliced (Main)|
|1 small||Beetroot, peeled and grated (Main)|
|1 small||Red onion, halved and thinly sliced|
|2 Tbsp||Dried cranberries|
|1 cup||Cherry tomatoes, slliced in half|
|1||Red capsicum, sliced into long triangles|
|2||Plums, sliced into wedges (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Slice garlic in half and rub the inside of the salad bowl (this will give a subtle hint of garlic to the slaw).
- Add sherry vinegar, oil and salt. Mix well until salt has dissolved.
- Cut pomegranate in half. Using a wooden spoon, firmly hit the outside skin to knock out the seeds (you need half a cup of seeds).
- Place cabbage, beetroot, onion, seeds and cranberries into the salad bowl, mix well. Taste, add more seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes, red capsicum and sliced plums.